LI Sound Fishing Advertise Here at LI Sound's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Osprey Fishing Fleet out of Port Jefferson, NY Eastman's Fishing Fleet - NH Fishing All Year Round!

Cod Fishing - LISoundFIshing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing LI Sound

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   LISoundFIshing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing LI Sound > LISoundFishing.com Connecticut Saltwater Fishing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LISoundFishing.com Connecticut Saltwater Fishing Use this board to post all general CT salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forums.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 AM

Thumbs up Cod Fishing

Looks like Cod fishing is off to a great season and many ports of call are getting into the action. Ocean Perch are in the mix at healthy sizes averaging over 2 pounds and many Cod over 15 pounds being reported.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Site Sponsor

Smile

Went Codfishing Saturday Jan. 3rd on the Lady Frances of the Frances Fleet. Pool fish went 23 lbs. About 10 fish 14 to 20 lbs. High hook had 8 keepers. I caught a 5 and 10lb Cod and 6 shorts. Also got 4 2lb. Ocean perch and a snagged squid on my jig. We were on the drift all day in about 120' of water. Both bait and jigs worked in the 2 to 3' seas with a steady light breeze. The heated handrail was a plus.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Site Sponsor

Unhappy

The boats have been tied up since last Saturday. The island current was out Tuesday and claimed to get some 10 fish limits with a light load of anglers. The boats are heading out tommorrow in 2 to 4 seas. I am going to pass because of the high winds Friday with gusts to 60 knots and seas of 12 to 17' 20 miles south of block island. The water is most likely dirty and may result in poor fishing. Will try next weekend weather permitting.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Site Sponsor

Went Cod fishing on 1/17 on the Lady Frances. Seas were 2 to 4' in the morning and around 2' by noon. Plenty of action out at Coxes Ledge, the shorts kept us busy. Of the 19 cod I caught, only 1 keeper at 7lbs. , 5 of those shorts were less than 1 " short of the 22" minimum. Still had a great day, it was good to get out. One of the regulars next to me got 5 keepers. The high low bait rig was the way to go. Only managed 4 fish on the jig and teaser. They all took the teaser.
Will supply more tips on rigs and suggested gear as well as clothing if anyone is interested.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Site Sponsor

Last weekend 2 boats were out on the cod grounds and found some good action. The shorts kept the fisherman busy with an occaisional keeper. One of the boats is sailing tommorrow. I hope to get out a few more times if the keeper ratio goes up. I look for the high hook to be 7 to 10 keepers. The fishing could run strong till early or late March if the water temp stays cool enough. Usually upper 30's or low 40's. Lets hope a new wave of fish move onto the grounds and the plentiful bait fish remain.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Site Sponsor

One of the Cod boats got out yesterday and found the fishing to be slow. Only a handful of keepers and a couple dozen shorts. There was a lack of bait and colder than normal water temps. With that said , I declined today's trip and will be on standby for next weekend. They have been iced in for a week and a half.
P.S. I tied 6 new rigs yesterday for bait and jigging with details to be explained on the bait and tackle board.