LI Sound Fishing Advertise Here at LI Sound's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Osprey Fishing Fleet out of Port Jefferson, NY Eastman's Fishing Fleet - NH Fishing All Year Round!

Jigging for Cod - LISoundFIshing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing LI Sound

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   LISoundFIshing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing LI Sound > LISoundFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LISoundFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Jigging for Cod

Tie 20" of 50lb. mono to a 3 way swivel, then add a 6/0 Gamakatsu baitholder hook for your teaser. Tie 5' of 50lb. mono to the 3 way and then add a snap swivel for the jig. Attach 3 way to the main line.
Jigs: I bring a 9, 12,14 and 16 oz. Norwegian jig to use depending on the current. Also , an 8, 10 and 12 oz. hammered jig as options. I have accumulated these over the years.
Teasers: I add any of the following to the baitholder J hook. 6" glow in the dark or pink curlytail grub, squid skirts or pork rind.
Jigging: I will lift the jig 3 to 5' in 2 motions off the bottom, then hit bottom and jig again with my 7.5' medium heavy to heavy rod. I like to jig on the drift till I get to far from the boat, then pull up and drop down again or go to a heavier jig if necessary. Just enough weight to tend bottom is ideal. I switch back to bait with my other rod, a 6.5' medium heavy to heavy rod if I get tired or see bait working with the other fisherman. If at anchor, I will do a underhand flip away from the boat and work the jig back to the boat. Usually not to crowded to allow me to do this. When they hit,you will know it on the upswing. Sometimes they hit it as it flutters to the bottom.